Over the years, Pearl River
College has produced a catalog, beginning with the 1909 catalog, about
the school and its benefits. These catalogs have been a great source
of information about PRCC's beginnings. These pictures were found
in the 1928 catalog (original copy in the Alumni Building with a photocopy
on file in the PRCC Museum.) (Click
on the pictures for full size image.)
This is a view of the campus
taken from about where Highway 11 and West North street
intersect. Since White
Hall was still in the planning stages, Batson Hall is clearly visible
from this vantage point.
This view of the campus
was taken from about where White Hall now stands.
Note that College Hall (Moody
Hall), which would have been
a little over a year old
when this photo was taken, is the building to the far right.
Batson Hall was a dominant
structure on campus, and one the school could be proud
of. Its imposing
columnar front gave the school an air of distinction. Even though
Pearl River county was not
a particularly populous area, the facilities were as commanding
as those found at any other
AHS in the state, even those in the more populated and
College Hall (Moody Hall)
was built to accommodate the newly established college.
With over 22,000 square
feet, it was as large as any educational building in the southern
part of Mississippi.
Completed in 1926, the building housed college classrooms,
and a combination gym/auditorium on the rear wing.
This architects rendering
of White Hall shows a different facade than is seen today.
The original drawing depicts
brick columns, but the structure was known to have been
fitted with white columns,
in keeping with the other buildings on campus. Since then,
White Hall's front portico
has given way to enclosed stairwells.
The Chemistry lab was probably
located in the ground floor of College Hall. Anyone
having information concerning
where this was located should use the form at the
bottom of the page.
The gas plant was used in
the production of electricity on the campus. Prior to the REA
project, many rural areas
were without electricity. Early on, PRCAHS installed electric
generators. The school,
with its vegetable and farm animal production was very much
a self sustaining institution.
The Girl Reserves Club room
was located in Batson Hall. Anyone having information
about the Girl Reserves
should use the form located at the bottom of the page.
The Physics Department was
probably located in College Hall (Moody Hall). Note the
two drawer desk at the rear
of the room. One of these desks can be seen in the
Pearl River Community College
Museum located in Hancock Hall.
This is a picture of the
Home Economics classroom. It was probably located in College
Hall (Moody Hall).
Anyone having more information should use the form at the bottom
of the page.
This picture shows that
physical education was an important part of school life, even as
early as 1928.
you have pictures, memorabilia, or information about the history of Pearl
River Community College? If you do, and you would be willing to donate,
loan or share this with us, contact Ronn Hague or Larry Stanford at the
Department of Public Relations, Museum Project, PRCC, Highway 11 North,
Poplarville, MS, 39470, ph. (601)-795-1316, email
us, or use the form above.